Monday, June 25, 2012

A New Endeavor

For most of my life -- really since I learned to put pen to paper -- I've been aware of two things:  1) all I really want to do is write; and 2) people are always telling me I should write.  I'm a self-proclaimed Word Nerd.  I love reading words, writing words, making words up, stringing words together to mean something!  And somewhere along the line, with all modesty, I came to believe that I do, in fact, have something of a gift with the written word.  Without a doubt, I say plainly, that gift is from God.


About a year ago, after a lot of prayer and discussion with my husband, I quit my job.  My reason for quitting a good job in a horrible economy is fairly simple:  life is too short to work for a crazy person.  Seriously, the mental anguish I went through in trying to deal with a woman who is incredibly controlling and often unreasonable and irrational was having a negative effect on my home life.  I frequently came home angry or in tears.  By the very name of my blog, angry and tearful are just not who I am, nor who I want to be.


For the first few months, I just enjoyed being a stay-at-home mom.  Then our health insurance began being deducted from my husband's check.  Ouch.  So I started looking for a job.  And while I was looking for a job, I began to pray.  And write.  And pray and write some more.

I prayed for a job in which I could be happy.  I prayed for God to direct my steps in my search.  I also prayed for the wisdom to see the door when He opened it for me.  And I prayed -- and this was a totally new prayer for me -- that if He wanted me to use the gift He gave me for His glory, that God would help me find a way.

I began writing a few short stories that soon became not-so-short.  I also began work on a book.  Romance, of course.  (Insert happy face here, lol.)  And I prayed a lot more.

So here I am, a year after quitting a "real job".  I've published two books for Kindle on Amazon.  I've only sold two copies of one of them.  It's a start.

"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." (Colossians 3:17)  That's what I'm trying to do.  I want to use the gift God gave me to bring glory to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment