Tuesday, July 10, 2012

It's Not About the Money

I might have mentioned -- at least once or twice -- how much I love to write.  I used to joke and say, "If I could make a living at it, I'd sit and write all day!"  Well, I'm not quite up to "making a living", but I have been doing a lot of "sitting and writing" all day.  I'm still looking for a "real" job, but there is a part of me that wonders if that's not like asking God to send rain, then watering my lawn.

You see, I pray on a regular basis that this "writing thing", as I call it, works.  I want to be able to earn money doing the thing I love most in the world.  But today, I earned something on which I could never put a dollar value.

A friend posted a little status update about my books on Amazon.  She pointed out that we worship together, and that it's very exciting to see books by a Christian author -- especially one she knows personally -- on Amazon.  There were a couple of comments and "likes" and then there was THE comment.  The comment that made my heart race and my face heat up and brought tears to my eyes.  The comment was:


Christie had JUST told me about it Saturday... Said would help me with some of my own healing... Wish it was on NOOK.


I realized suddenly THAT'S what it's about.  It's not about money or fame.  It's about sharing my faith in God.  It's about God blessing me with a small amount of talent that I can use to bless others.  It's about using my gift to teach others, in some way, about God's love and mercy and grace and forgiveness and healing.


I find myself humbled that God has blessed me in this way.  I pray that He will continue to send this flow of words, and that I can, perhaps in my own little way, lead others to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment