Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Fear Not

I've never counted how many times the phrase "fear not" appears in the Bible.  But I have to admit, I'd like to know.  How often do we tell our children, "Don't be afraid"?  I know when mine were younger, that was a fairly common phrase.  But as an adult, my fears are, as a rule, much larger than fear of the dark or monsters under the bed.  As an adult, my fears seem to be about others, for the most part:  will my children be safe for a week away at camp?  Will my husband be safe on his drive to work each day?  Will my brother get a job in a foreign country, where the government may or may not be stable?  Will my sister's job get better so she won't be so unhappy?

And then I remember what God has told me:  "For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.  On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone." (Psalm 91: 11 - 12)  I know there are people who have angels all around them -- or at least our representation of angels, pretty little ethereal beings with shiny wings.  And that's fine.  It gives them comfort.  But how many times did angels appear and say, "Fear not"?  Based on the Bible, I'd imagine angels are pretty ferocious beings, able to go to battle for the Lord.  That actually gives me more peace of mind than thinking they are little fluttery fairy-like beings.

But that isn't even the best part.  All the angels in the heavens can't compare to Isaiah 41:10, when God says, "fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."  God is always with us.  God is so much larger than any of my fears and worries and concerns.  That doesn't mean I'll never worry or be concerned about people and events in my life.  But at least I know, whenever I feel that fear, that worry, I can turn it over to God; He doesn't want me to be afraid, and He is with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment