Thursday, July 14, 2011

Promises, Promises!

I spent several hours yesterday cleaning my daughter's room.  She's away at camp, so this was my opportunity to really clean, if you know what I mean, without anyone saying, "Mom, you can't throw that away!"  In between cleaning, I was trudging up and down the stairs with laundry; dirty laundry down, clean laundry up, dirty laundry down, clean laundry up.  Tedious and tiresome stuff.

Anytime I'm doing housework like that, I'm reminded of Robert Tilton, the old televangelist; he was one of many who was caught in some scandal or other back in the day.  I was flipping through the channels on TV one day and ran across his show.  He was gazing intently at the camera -- well, not actually gazing, as his eyes were squeezed tightly closed.  He said something to this effect:  "I see a woman. (pause)  She is ironing clothes.  (pause)  She is unhappy with her life!"  Mr. Tilton went on to encourage said unhappy Iron Lady to call his "ministry" and ask for prayer, and oh, by the way, your prayers sure do get answered more quickly and abundantly if you happen to also make a "love offering" while you're at it.

My first thought -- and I still think this when I remember that show -- was, "Well, she's ironing!  Of course she's unhappy with her life, you idiot!"  My second thought was, exactly what was this woman supposed to pray for?  As I recall, Mr. Tilton was pretty heavily into the belief that righteousness was equivalent to earthly wealth.  So I assumed one of his "prayer warriors" would help the Iron Lady pray for, oh, I don't know, a maid to do her ironing?  But is that one of God's promises?

God made so many promises to His children.  He started with promises to Adam and Eve, and every promise He made was fulfilled, right up to sending a Savior.  There were promises of children, promises of land, promises for salvation...but did He promise us riches and people to serve us?  Oh, sure, God promised He would provide for us, but does that mean untold wealth?

How about this, instead?  "Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him?" (James 2:5)  We're told right there that some of us will be poor in the world.  But oh, that promise!  The promise of eternity with Christ!  Is there anything better than that?

No, I think I'll just keep lugging laundry up and down stairs, waiting for God's ultimate promise to be fulfilled.  And if I have to iron the occasional wrinkled garment till that time, so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment