Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Why Happy Heart?

Welcome to my blog!  If you're here looking for some amazing celebrity-like tell-all, or some incredible "reality", you should probably check another blog.  I'm a wife, mom, sister, aunt, child of God...in other words, nobody.  If you found me, however, by looking for something uplifting, you've come to the right place!

When I was in high school, I had a Bible class teacher, Sandy Brackett.  She told her class full of angst-ridden high school girls, "You choose to feel the way you feel."  Such a simple concept, and yet, it resonated deeply in my heart.  Think about it.  Someone cuts you off in traffic; do you get furious and scream at some stranger, who, by the way, can't even hear you?  Or do you take a deep breath and go on with your life?  It's really that simple.

I have long associated peace with happiness.  How often did Christ say to His followers, "Peace be with you"?  In John 14, He doesn't want His apostles to be troubled by His leaving -- His death.  In John 14:27, Jesus specifically says, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid."

We can go through life being worried, frightened, hurt, angry and unhappy, or we can choose to have a Happy Heart.  We can choose to be happy, peaceful, blessed, and assured of God's awesome grace and mercy.  We can choose to look for the myriad blessings -- great and small -- God showers on us each and every day.

So there you have it.  I don't claim to be Shakespeare, but from time to time, I like to think I have little nuggets of wisdom to share.  I like to think I can make someone's heart happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment