Wednesday, July 13, 2011

So Great a Cloud

I dreamed about my parents last night.  I do that on a fairly regular basis.  We lost Daddy in March of 2010, and we lost Mom this April.  But in my dreams, Mom and Dad are both strong and healthy.  We are going places and doing things together.  Now they live in my heart and, apparently, in my dreams.

I spoke at both of my parents' funerals.  Afterward, so many people came to me and said, "I don't think I could've done that!  You're amazing!"  I told them, "I'm not amazing, but my parents were, and people should know about people like them."

This is where I get to the cloud referred to in the title.  One of my favorite scriptures is Hebrews 12:1 - 2; "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."  This passage is always a comfort to me, reminding me that we -- make that I -- can make it.

I can be strong and faithful to my God.  I can finish this race we call life, no matter how discouraged I may sometimes get.  Furthermore, I don't have to bring any baggage!  I can "lay aside every weight and sin"!  Every weight, every worry, every burden...I just lay them down at the feet of Christ, and He will carry them for me!  And sin?  I can ask forgiveness, and they're behind me!  No begging or pleading, no promising God I won't do it again.  Just ask, and those sins no longer cling to me!  How awesome is that?

But the last reason I love this passage is that "great cloud of witnesses".  Abraham, Sarah, David, the prophets!  They are all in that cloud!  How many others joined them after the Hebrew writer passed on?  Paul, John, all the apostles.  Dorcas, Phoebe, Lydia.

I realize the word in this context refers to these lives being a witness for faith.  But what a providential coincidence that the English word also means "to watch, to see".  So all my life, I've also thought that passage was telling me those people -- Moses, too, how amazing is that thought! -- are watching over me, cheering me on to keep going and finish the race!  And you know who else is there?  My Mom.  My Dad.  Buddy and Ruth McGowan.  Judd Strother.  My Aunt Margaret.  Hubert Moreland.  If I tried to name all of them, like the Hebrew writer, I'd run out of time!

So how can I not take comfort in knowing what an amazing cheering section I have?  So every time I get discouraged, each time someone hurts me, every single time Satan throws some hurdle in my path, I stop, be still, and think of that cloud of witnesses.  Then I move on with a renewed spirit, knowing they are all pulling for me.  Who's cheering for you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment