Thursday, July 21, 2011

Following the Rules

I have to admit, I sometimes question rules.  It's not that I question authority, not at all.  If someone who has authority gives me an order, or tells me about a rule, I'm going to obey.  But I'm the kind of person who wants to know why that rule is in place.  Is it for safety's sake?  Is it based on efficiency?  Is it part of a bigger picture?  Or is it just because "that's the way we've always done it"?  I just like to understand why I'm doing something a certain way.

I don't always like to follow the rules, especially those I don't understand.  Again, it's not so much about questioning authority as just wanting to know the reason behind a certain rule.  And yes, I am a bit of a free spirit.

But even I understand that I can't question God's rules.  Oh, sure, I can ask someone more knowledgeable than I am to help me understand them.  I believe that kind of questioning is not only acceptable, but should be expected of all Christians (Acts 17:10 - 12).  But I still need to follow His rules, whether I understand them or not.

So it gives me a certain sense of peace to realize, it all boils down to one thing:  Be like Jesus.  I don't see as many WWJD bracelets as I used to, and it makes me a little sad, because how much easier can we make things?  Have a choice to make?  What would Jesus do?  Receive an invitation to a party where the parents are absent?  What would Jesus do? I know it's not always easy, I'm not saying that.  I just think it makes our lives a little easier if we ask ourselves that question.

“I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I set your rules before me.” (Psalm 119:30)

No comments:

Post a Comment